We moved!

Visit
WhatAboutOurDaughters.com
and update your bookmarks.

We're hanging out at our old Blogspot. whatabouroutdaughters.com is down :(

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Positive Hip Hop Artists - Yoda was Right

I must admit that my motivation for starting this blog was anger and frustration. Okay, maybe even a smidge of RAGE. I had an “ENOUGH is ENOUGH” moment and acted on it. For three weeks I have been working at a blur, fueled by adrenaline and a hint of fury. I accomplished a lot. I got the blog started. I more than quintupled the blog traffic. I have a radio show now. I discovered talents I didn’t even know I had. I’ve met some wonderful people along the way.

Yesterday I did a show with the topic “ Does Hip Hop HATE Black Women.” Today I have to take a moment to pause and consider if I really want this blog to be driven by rage. Yoda was right when he said that “Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

When Verizon severed its relationship with Akon, I was downright giddy. I engaged in a full blown case of schadenfreude. At some point(s) in this man’s life, he gave over to an anger and hatred towards women and now we got a glimpse of the resultant suffering. But it all started with fear. He clearly doesn’t love himself enough. *cue the violin music* That 15 year old girl was somebody’s daughter. Somebody gave birth to her, they wiped her tears when she cried, fed her when she was hungry, and kissed he when she had booboos. No matter how she was dressed or why she decided to sneak into a club when she was underage, she didn’t deserve to be treated like a Teflon blow up doll. She’s a human being and as much as it pains me to say it, so is he.

Does this mean I am going to stop pushing to impose economic sanctions on misogynistic lyrics or negative portrayals of African American women in popular culture? NO. It just means I am taking stock of my motivation. This blog is a service to those who want to make the world a better place. If you know about an organization or individual who is trying to end the negativity, send it in.

To kick off the Festival of Kindness,

These are artists who Bronze Trininty thinks have positive empowering messages instead of the fear, anger, and hatred of commercial hip hop. Check out some positive hip hop artists courtesy of Bronze Trinity.