We moved!

Visit
WhatAboutOurDaughters.com
and update your bookmarks.

We're hanging out at our old Blogspot. whatabouroutdaughters.com is down :(

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

WAOD Wins "Blog of the Year" from the Black Weblog Awards -You like me. You really, really like me! ( Well at least some of Y'all)

Well that was unexpected. I was perusing my webcounter and saw some hits coming from the Black Weblog Awards blog and what in the world.... What About Our Daughters? won two awards i didn't even know we were nominated for.

First, Bronze Trinity's post called "What About our Daughters Wins Battle" about our little run in with a certain network about a certain show was the Judges' Choice winner for Best Blog Post. You go Bronze Trinity. Bronze was like one of the first people to embrace my entrance into the blogosphere five months ago. This was waaay before WAOD was on folk's RADAR. Thank you. I appreciate you. Especially when I have one of my "episodes".

Second, although we have only been up since April 18, 2007, the judges selected What About Our Daughters? as "Blog of the Year."

I had no clue that anyone had nominated the blog for anything so this was a pleasant surprise.
I get occasional grief from "folk" about what I do and say on this blog, so it is always nice to get positive reinforcement, especially from my peers. Six months ago, I was basically doing nothing with my life other than waiting until I turned 53 so that I could retire to a cabin in Asheville, NC. Seriously, I have a little printout with the exact date on it. Only 32 years to go.

This blog changed my life. So this was a good time to take a pause and look back and say "Dang, did we do all that?" Over 200 posts and over 50,ooo visits, over 100,000 page views. Although I started this blog with the intention of just being a town crier, my true nature came out and I eventually crept over into advocacy. My first real act of advocacy that shocked the heck out of me was demanding that Rev. Al Sharpton issue a statement condemning DL Hughley. I did it on a whim and put up Sharpton's contact info. Imagine my surprise when I got home to check the comments that day and found out that you crazy people had actually called that man! Then folks started huting down additional contact info. It was crazy! Then he actually gave us a statement! Nobody was more shocked than I was. The rest is history.

I remember in June when I was so excited about the possibility that I might have 10,000 visitors by the end of July. A few days later, the blog showed up in a Hollywood Reporter article and later the Associated Press and we got 6,500 hits in a day. Things have finally settled down around here, but things have never quite been the same and that is okay. This thing is so completely not in my control anymore. I just ride the wave. This is a group effort. I couldn't do it without the loyal folks who give of their time, treasure and talent to make our various "efforts" pay off. Even those of you who take time out of your busy day to let me know that you think that I am completely wrong and am wasting my time. Especially that Anon commentor who comes on every single time we start a campaign to tell me"Sorry, this will not work."

So thanks Karsh and everybody over at the Black Weblog Awards. I do this because the Universe dragged me kicking and screaming into it, but it is always nice to get recognized for at least trying to do the right thing. I really am trying.... now back to kicking butt and taking names!