We moved!

Visit
WhatAboutOurDaughters.com
and update your bookmarks.

We're hanging out at our old Blogspot. whatabouroutdaughters.com is down :(

Thursday, August 16, 2007

D.L. Hughley still D-Lusional....And an Attention Ho'

If you needed evidence that D.L. Hughley attacked the Rutgers team because he is an attention whore, now his P.R. people and Cap City Comedy are hyping WAOD to reporters too bad this reporter had already found me himself. BUT THANKS ANYWAY DL! BTW, its not a "protest" its a demonstration. I won't be sending out press releases afterall. Not needed when D.L. and his people are doing the work for me. Sorry Capital City :(

The day after I interviewed Ms. McCauley I got an e-mail from D.L.'s publicist that read, in part:

"You should be aware that there is an internet blogger based in Austin who has started a campaign against D.L. in response to some comments he made as a joke on The Tonight Show back in early May. She is trying to get some kind of protest together of D.L.'s show at Cap City. Please feel free to ask D.L. about this, as he has quite a bit in response to it."
I'd actually never heard of the whole "DL Hughley controversy" until someone from CapCity Comedy Club, where D.L. is performing this week, called me about it. They were worrying aloud--in other words, fishing for coverage--that the same thing might happen here. It was their suggestion that it might make a good story for the Austin edition.

You would have thought that it would have been Essence Magazine that would have confronted D.L., but alas it was a White guy that had to do it. (WHY? WHY? WHY?). I haven't read the interview that is in the print version which is supposed to include quotes from me, but the online version where the reporter talked to Hughley is out now and it has already received some national attention. Apparently D.L. JUST found out that the Rev. Al Sharpton called him a has been and our truculent tyke was not happy.

Anyway, I double dared the reporter to ask D.L. Hughley, who has been hiding behind the First Amendment to attack anyone who takes umbrage with what he says. Well shockingly, the reporter took me up on my offer. Make sure you read the resulting comments to the online interview, it ends up being somewhat contentious, readers attack the reporter and they include a portion of my interview.:

AVC: You've said before that this is a free-speech issue.

DLH: Yes. I agree with the French playwright and poet Voltaire. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

AVC: Ms. McCauley has challenged you to recite the first five words of the First Amendment.

DLH: Look, I don't know all the words of the Bible, but that doesn't mean I don't believe in God! [Laughs.] I don't know all the words of the Constitution—that don't mean I'm not entitled to it. I've got a GED, so there's a lot of things I don't know, but what I do know is, I'm one of the best comics in this country, and I'll keep being one of the best comics in this country. I challenge her to cite one example of me not loving black women in their natural state! Here's the truth of the matter: I know women, and I know hoes. I know black men, and I know niggers. I know bitches and I know friends. I do! And I won't pretend that I don't. My gig is to call it like I see it. So she knows the first five words, so what is that? What does that accomplish?

What that accomplishes is that it blows all of your hemmin and hawin' to smithereens little man. He can quote Voltaire, but he can't quote the First Amendment when he's been running around saying he is defending the First Amendment. Y'all I ain't gone give you the answer, but look up the first five words of the First Amendment and tell me he does not know what he is talking about when he says his attack on Black women has First Amendment implications..Tell me how you claim to be defending something you have not read? Since he is quoting Voltaire, why didn't he defend the right of the protesters in Ft. Worth to gather and assemble instead of calling them clowns and buffoons?

I especially love the part where he says he has more people at his shows in the strip malls of America than people visit this blog. Maybe when we first started that was true, but it ain't anymore thanks to his current employer's foolishness.

AVC: To the protestors, at least, one key difference is that people feel like it's not just these women you're talking about, but all black women. Obviously the joke came at a very sensitive time for black women—

DLH: It's ironic to me that I'm listening to a white reporter tell me how black women feel. It's one chick who's upset and who's pretending to speak for a lot of other people. On her blogs, she's got a couple thousand people. Okay. I'll do that in a weekend. Even if they're all protesting tomorrow, what are they hoping to accomplish with this?

I find it ironic too D.L. I find it ironic too. In another place, he calls the blog an email page. So smart he is.

Unlike Mr. Hughley, I've read the First Amendment. So even if it is just me and the man holding the John 3:16 sign, I'll be there exercising my First Amendment right to disagree with the truculent tyke. That doesn't make me a buffoon or a clown, it makes me AMERICAN. As such an ardent defender or the First Amendment, he OUGHT to know that. Read more details in the right sidebar.

OOPS! I hit the wrong button and ended up rejecting comments from Bronze, Eddie, and Heavenly when I meant to accept them. So here is a creen capture of what they wrote, I don't know how to retrieve deleted comments. I was however able to hit the back button, but couldn't undo what I had done. Click on the picture to read them