We moved!

Visit
WhatAboutOurDaughters.com
and update your bookmarks.

We're hanging out at our old Blogspot. whatabouroutdaughters.com is down :(

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Donnie McClurkin Responds - I'm on NPR Tomorrow-

I told y'all about Earl Ofari Hutchinson's attack on Barack Obama for holding a concert where Donnie McClurkin was scheduled to performed. Well several "progressive" blogs have been hosting some pretty heated discussions on this issue. Donnie McClurkin has finally spoken on the issue:

"I believe in his stance. I believe in his platform and his agenda. So when they asked me if I would be a part of it, there was no problem," said McClurkin, who has performed at both parties' conventions and identifies himself as a Democrat. "We don't have to agree on everything, but we do have to agree on the main thing: that there needs to be change and I believe he is the candidate to bring it."

For years, McClurkin has talked from the pulpit about how he was raped by a male family member as a child. It was that act, he has said, that sent him into living as a gay man for the better part of 20 years. He now says he is straight and that his ministry is open to those who say they no longer want to live as a gay person. What he doesn't do, he says, is crusade against homosexuality.

"There's never been a statement made by me about curing homosexuality. People are using that in order to incite anger and to twist my whole platform on it. There's no crusade for curing it or to convert everyone. This is just for those who come to me and ask for change." SOURCE
We will probably be talking about this on NPR's News & Notes Black Bloggers Roundtable tomorrow ( check you local listings.)

I have also invited African American bloggers who happen to be gay and lesbian to appear on the podcast on Thursday (8 PM CST). I've been reading their take on all of this and they offer a different perspective. I think this issue merits a more discussion. I hope you will join us and call in to participate in a civil and mature manner ( looking at YOU KNOW WHO!). These folks are kind enough to come on, don't call in with any foolishness!