We moved!

Visit
WhatAboutOurDaughters.com
and update your bookmarks.

We're hanging out at our old Blogspot. whatabouroutdaughters.com is down :(

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

WAOD Mailbag and News You Can Use: Michelle Obama Makes 'Em Mad- Oprah Starts a Class

Where Are All the Good Black Women?- Of Course Its a Man Asking
"Where Are All The Good Black Women?" I am sure some of you will enjoy this article from across the pond. Read this article and then we can play "Count the Contradictions" in the comments section. Better yet, feel free to respond to Phinn:
Are you a professional woman who thinks Phinn is talking nonsense? Email us your views at: yourviews@gvmedia.co.uk
Oh I love the British!

The Campaign That Never Ends.Continues Never Ending

Machinists Union President Tom Buffenbarger, introducing Clinton, hit Obama in...colorful...terms

"Yes we can? Give me a break," he said.

He also compared Obama with "Janus, the two-faced god" of Roman mythology. He called him "silver tongued" and a "thespian" and "the man in love with the microphone."

"He’s not just a trained thespian, he’s a terrific shadow boxer. You know the type. Outside the ring, he pretends he can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee," he said. "But Barack Obama is no Muhammad Ali. He took a walk every time there was a tough vote in the Illinois state Senate. He took a walk more than 130 times. That’s what a shadow boxer does. All the right moves, all the right combinations, all the right footwork, but he never steps into the ring. He walks away from the fight.” Politico.com

.Despite a plagiarism "scandal" that erupted over whether Obama was lifting language from Massachusetts's Governor, Deval Patrick, Barack Obama won his ninth election in a row in Wisconsin. Texas and Ohio are tightening up. My goal is to collect as much campaign paraphernalia as possible from all four remaining candidates. There are some really cool posters floating around. If you want the 411 on the Texas race, Burnt Orange Report is a good place to start. There isn't another primary like Texas. Clinton can't just beat Obama, she has to clobber him throughout all of the state senate districts to win Texas... MSM will point that out in about two weeks.
Michelle's National Pride Problems
Don't shoot the messenger. Y'all know I am a Michell fan, but this won't be the last time this happens during the campaign, but a portion of a Michelle Obama speech cause a big kerfluffle yesterday. Here is what she said:
"What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback. And let me tell you something -- for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I've seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it's made me proud."
Well Cindi McCain ( That is John's wife) responded:'
“I am proud of my country,” [she] said at a campaign stop in Brookfield, Wis., Tuesday. “I don’t know if you heard those words earlier … but I am very proud of my country.”

During a follow up press conference, the Arizona senator was asked if they were responding to Michelle Obama and he deferred to his wife.
She responded: “I just wanted to make the statement that I have and always will be proud of my country.” Wonkette.com

OH this will be a fun fun fun general election race if it is the battle of the wives. I know Cindy has a Stepford wife vibe going, but I detected a subtle near head snap-her husband almost appeared afraid of what she would say next. Don't sleep on Cindy. If Bill Clinton will just issue a statement regarding national pride, we'll have a complete set. I expect comments from Bill any moment now. He can't resist!

Well Michelle, y'all ain't the insurgency anymore, y'all are the presumptive front runner. I get what she was saying, but that comment opened you up to analysis like this where the go through all of the stuff that has happened in the years since Michelle became an adult. Yeah, they broke it down like a fraction.Parsing words? Absolutely! Its called the meat grinder that is the campaign to become the leader of the free world.

Oprah Hosting the World's Largest Classroom

I already signed up, but beginning March 3, 2008 for ten weeks, Oprah is going to be hosting an online telecourse covering Eckhart Tolle's, "A New Earth."
For the first time ever, you can join Oprah and Eckhart Tolle, the best-selling author of The Power of Now, as they teach A New Earth in Oprah's worldwide classroom live Monday nights on Oprah.com.

I am going to try to make it to the end of this class, but I can already tell this is going to be TOUGH. I tried reading the first excerpt on the Oprah.com website and it was rough going. Maybe I am too cynical :( I will give it a go and report back every Tuesday morning about my online classroom experience with Oprah. I'm going in with an open mind.

Al Sharpton Bails on Dunbar Village Townhall Meeting

We all can miss a plane or two, but how about calling your grassroots organizer to let them know you are canceling the meeting they worked side by side with you to plan? Not to mention canceling their own planned meeting to accommodate yours.

They were promised a visit from a famous activist who vowed to come to "Dunbar Village" to fight for better conditions. But Monday night, after Reverend Al Sharpton canceled his appearance at the last minute, residents left what was supposed to be a town hall meeting saying there's little left to complain about. WPTV.com
Uh yeah right. Nothing left to complain about. (there is a back story there). I want to say that I am shocked an horrified, but I ain't . Working with members of the Civil Rights Industrial Complex is a very tricky affair- Like juggling rattle snakes blindfolded while riding a unicycle. I've got the bite marks to prove it- some nearly fatal to this blog. When things settle down, I'll break down some of the behind the scenes shenanigans, but as you can imagine, those most connected to the planning are extremely beat down and disappointed.

I fielded a call in the middle of what was left of the chaos that was created. This "changing the world" thing ain't easy. If it was, it would have already been done. There will be setbacks and miscalculations and changes in course. There will be times when you may, understandably want to give up- like when you are surrounded by a bunch of news cameras and residents asking “where in the world is Rev. Al?” Know that your cause is noble and it is as noble now as it was before the meeting and the ensuing chaos. Keep your head up! See, I can be restrained. Aren't y'all proud? Cause you know I can produce a Sharpton diatribe on demand.

John McCain's Campaign Slogan
“I will fight to make sure that Americans are not deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change”

Wasn't that Bob Dole's campaign slogan? You gone have to come up with something better than that IMHO the optimist typically beats the pessimist.

In Other News

In other news,Ivory coast women want medical treatment for bigger bottoms. Speaking of book club selections, I am sure many of you can't wait to go out and grab this one. “Stupid Black Men” by Larry Elder. For real, y'all need to keep beating me about the head until I finish my first book because clearly you can get published writing about anything. Here is an interesting post called “Where are the Roles for Black Women In Black leadership". It was all going good until they went an mentioned Tiny Tot as an example of Black women in leadership. WAOD readers know how she likes to “lead.” WE'RE DOOMED!!! JK