We moved!

Visit
WhatAboutOurDaughters.com
and update your bookmarks.

We're hanging out at our old Blogspot. whatabouroutdaughters.com is down :(

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Put Your Money Where Your Moaning Is- Help Spread the " Stop Listening to Trash" Billboard Campaign


If you will send your eyes sto the top right corner of the page, you will see what we bloggers like to call a widget. It is keeping track of a campaign initiated after reading this post that I wrote about a church in Chicago putting up 20 billboards urging people to “Stop Listening to Trash.” Several people commented that they wished they could do that in their city. I responded, “ Open up the yellow pages and call the billboard company.”

The folks over at African American Opinion decided to start a “Chip-In” campaign to duplicate the Chicago billboard campaign. I’ve decided to promote their effort here at What About Our Daughters. Now the organizer has given folks until November 30, 2007 July 31st, I‘m not waiting that long. This goal can be reached by the 4th of July. Time’s a-wasting!

Now like you, I hate to part with my hard earned treasure, but I am going to make an exception because when ( not if) this works, it is going to change the face of activism for those of us who want to take this activism from the Screen to the Streets. We have to stop preaching to the choir.

So what do you say? Can you give up a latte for the cause? As for me, I am going to give up two half gallons of Blue Bell Pistachio Almond and make an initial pledge of $10. But Alas, I don’t believe in helping those who don’t help themselves, so my initial contribution is contingent on the AAO getting at least 5 people go give at least $50( total) by midnight Monday, June 24, 2007. If they get $100 and more than 10 donors, I’ll give $20. So this means every little bit helps. People need to feel some urgency!

But what about security? The widget appears to be going through PayPal. If you are paranoid about giving up credit card info ( I AM!), then you can have your credit card company issue a one-time use credit card number to use for online transaction. E-mail me and I will tell you how if you don't know how to do it.

WHAT BLOGGERS CAN DO? "Do the WRITE Thing"
If you are a blogger who wants to combat the scourge that is commercial Hip Hop in all of its misogynistic, pro-prison, pro-pimp, pro-drugs, anti-education, anti-love, anti-sanity message, then consider embedding the widget in your sidebar for the rest of the month of June or until the goal is reached. If you can’t figure out how to add the widget, e-mail me and I will tell you how. You just click on the copy button and copy the HTML code. But while you're pasting and embedding, match my pledge.

BUT I DON'T KNOW THESE PEOPLE
What About Our Daughters isn’t running the campaign, we are just promoting it because it is a first important salvo in the effort to STOP FUNDING FOOLISHNESS. Can y’all imagine these billboards popping up all over the place? I am just as paranoid and cynical ( probably more ) as most of you, but sometimes you have to take a leap of faith that people will do what they say that they will do.