We moved!

Visit
WhatAboutOurDaughters.com
and update your bookmarks.

We're hanging out at our old Blogspot. whatabouroutdaughters.com is down :(

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

TMZ Attacks Black Women at BET Awards. Should I care?


I am torn folks. So very. very. torn. I vowed not to mention the Black Exploitation Television awards on THIS blog, but then in my weekly Google search for blog postings about Black women, I ran across this post. By Jasmyne ( Great blog by the way!) called TMZ.com Host to Online Race War Over BET Music Awards Write Up...Beyonce Performance Labeled as "Roboho". I too read this TMZ post called BET Fashion Fright Night about the fashion selections at the BET. I was tempted not to link to Jasmyne's post because ( and I feel bad about it) I didn't have any sympathy for those who chose to attend that exhibition of foolishness.

Personally, I was more disturbed by this post about Serena Williams where they imply that a Black female professional athlete is inhuman and some type of "extremely dangerous" cyborg.

Jasmyne is also disturbed by the comments on the thread about the BET fashions, but I am more concerned about the comments on the thread about Serena.

Needless to say, plenty of Black bloggers threw their own slings and arrows at the Fashion selections at the BET Awards ( YBF, Bossip, C&D, and Concrete Loop). Many of those same bloggers have their share of posts gunning for Serena as well

Y'all know I cop to my hypocrisy. Should I be AS offended that TMZ called Beyonce a "Roboho" as I am about the fact that they called Serena "extremely dangerous". I was ticked off at the Serena Williams post, but was meh about the BET fashions post. Jasmyne had a point though. I told y'all I was conflicted. Either way, look at the captions and comments on both stories and tell me what you think. Perhaps one of you can articulate the outrage I should probably feel if I didn't think Debra Lee and her Viacom overseers were the devil ( Just Kidding!Well, maybe not). In other words, I have to outsource my outrage over TMZ's bashing of the African American women at the BET Awards. I just can't muster up any legitimate outrage for some reason.

For comparison's sake take a look at some of our "Greatest Hits" posts. here are some of my personal favorites: Should Hip Hop be Eradicated?, New Loyalty Oath for the Black Blogosphere?, DL Hughley is Wrong: White Folks May Have a Point, Where in the World is Rev. Al- Sharpton Watch Day 01, Sharpton Watch is Over!, OH Snap: Video of protesters confronting Dieon Sanders and Dl Hughley in Ft. Worth. and my inaugural post: After Imus: Now What. Normally I have no problem being indignant! HAHAHA